About Us » School History

School History

# 1 Since 1882

The parish of Sacred Heart Catholic Church established a school in 1882 in the priest's rectory for the purpose of educating Catholic children. The early teachers were women of the parish, including local novelist, Frances Tiernan (Christian Reid).

SISTERS OF MERCY CONVENT-SCHOOL

In 1910, the Sisters of Mercy from Sacred Heart convent in Belmont, NC purchased land and built the first private convent-school in Salisbury and named it Salisbury Catholic School. It was under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Charleston, SC.

In 1942, the school changed diocesan jurisdiction when the Diocese of Raleigh, NC was formed and became known as Sacred Heart Catholic School. In 1972, the Catholic population of North Carolina was split into two dioceses, the Diocese of Raleigh, and the Diocese of Charlotte. At that time, the school went under the newly formed Diocese of Charlotte.

DOMINICAN SISTERS OF SAINT CATHERINE OF SIENA

In 1997, the Sisters of Mercy withdrew from the school due to lack of personnel to fill the positions, and our first lay principal was hired. Under her direction, the middle school was moved to separate facilities on campus. In 2006, the Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine of Siena became the first religious order in nine years to oversee the school. Sacred Heart Catholic School continues to grow and flourish within a strong Christian environment. Today, our school is under the direction of Father John Eckert (Pastor) Mr. Tyler Kulp (Principal) and a very strong administrative team.